Assistant Manager, Dining Room
Every day is an opportunity for our associates to deeply connect with people in a profound and personal way. Our associates are the core of our mission and we know that offering them genuine rewards and heart filling job satisfaction is the key to our success as a company. Here you’ll find opportunities to grow your career at any level whether you have direct contact with resident or support someone who does, and be inspired personally. With over 60,000 associates, there’s a place for you to make a difference in lives of the families we serve throughout our continuum of care.
Responsible for providing quality dining experience by assisting the Dining Room Manager with overseeing dining room staff and maintaining a pleasant and clean dining environment. Provides direct supervision of at least two or more full time associates.
- Supervises daily operations of dining room, room service, and convenience store, if applicable.
- Assigns wait staff to designated sections and all staff to appropriate side work. Inspects work to ensure proper completion.
- Ensures room service orders are delivered timely and properly.
- Ensures smooth and timely opening and closing of the dining room.
- Ensures an adequate number of service employees for each shift and ensures absences are covered.
- Oversees resident billing of food services charges.
- Assists in producing weekly schedules with budgetary guidelines for service staff.
- Leads the training of all new dining room associates and conducts required on-going training sessions.
- Provides supervision for special events.
- May assist service staff during mealtime as needed.
- May assist in greeting and seating residents and guests.
- In consultation with the Dining Services Director, hires, trains, disciplines and terminates departmental associates in accordance with company policies.
- Maintains the resident request logbook and forwards these requests to the Chef and/or Food Service Director.
This job description represents an overview of the responsibilities for the above referenced position. It is not intended to represent a comprehensive list of responsibilities. An associate should perform all duties as assigned by his/her supervisor.
Education and Experience
Associate’s degree or equivalent from two-year College or technical school; or six months to one year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certifications, Licenses, and Other Special Requirements
Current ServSafe Certification required. Obtain and hold any local, state and/or county required food handling/sanitation licenses and/or certificates.
Applies existing guidelines and procedures to make varied decisions within a department. Uses sound judgment and experience to solve moderately complex problems based on precedent, example, reasonableness or a combination of these.
Knowledge and Skills
Possesses extensive knowledge of a distinct skill or function and a thorough understanding of the organization and work environment. Has working knowledge of a functional discipline. Must have outgoing and cheerful personality and must be energetic, friendly, and organized. Must enjoy working with older adults and be capable of walking and standing for long periods of time. Ability to work effectively with diverse personalities and to treat people with dignity and respect. Ability to read and write English; ability to communicate with residents and other employees; ability to follow oral and written directions.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Requires interaction with co-workers, residents or vendors
- Use hands and fingers to handle or feel
- On-Call on an as needed basis
- Reach with hands and arms
- Possible exposure to communicable diseases and infections
- Stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
- Talk or hear
- Exposure to latex
- Ability to lift: Up to 25 pounds
- Possible exposure to blood-borne pathogens
- Possible exposure to various drugs, chemical, infectious, or biological hazards
- Subject to injury from falls, burns, odors, or cuts from equipment
Brookdale is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.