Immediately Hiring!Every day is an opportunity for our associates to deeply connect with people in a profound and personal way. Our associates are the core of our mission and we know that offering them genuine rewards and heart filling job satisfaction is the key to our success as a company. Here you’ll find opportunities to grow your career at any level whether you have direct contact with resident or support someone who does, and be inspired personally. With over 60,000 associates, there’s a place for you to make a difference in lives of the families we serve throughout our continuum of care.
Responsible for maintaining high quality standards of kitchen operation, including assisting with all food preparation and plating of food.
- Prepares meals from standardized recipes in accordance with the menu and ensures proper preparation, portioning, and serving of foods in a safe and sanitary manner.
- Assumes responsibility for total kitchen operations and handles all situations in the kitchen according to policy. Oversees proper food handling and utilization of all foods to prevent contamination, increase quality, and reduce cost.
- Sets up food service line and workstations with needed condiments and ensures all required condiments and garnishes are prepared and served with appropriate foods.
- Assists in coordinating prep for the following day’s menu.
- Assists in training new kitchen employees.
- Assists in ordering food and kitchen supplies.
- Assists in creating menus.
- Assists in execution of special events and functions.
- Fills in for the Sous Chef when absent and may be required to supervise other staff positions.
- Responds to community issues or concerns that may occur in the dining room.
- Keeps stock rooms, coolers, and freezers clean. Ensures that food supplies are rotated and all perishables are labeled, dated and stored properly.
- Maintains kitchen cleanliness and proper food preparation according to state and local health department code requirements and departmental procedures.
- Keeps food waste to a minimum by utilizing food storage and food recycling techniques.
This job description represents an overview of the responsibilities for the above referenced position. It is not intended to represent a comprehensive list of responsibilities. An associate should perform all duties as assigned by his/her supervisor.
Education and Experience
High school diploma or equivalent plus one year certificate from college or technical school preferred. Minimum of six months food preparation experience required.
Certifications, Licenses, and Other Special Requirements
Current ServSafe Certification required. Obtain/hold any local, state and/or county required food handling/sanitation licenses and/or certificates.
Management / Decision Making
Uses limited independent judgment to make decisions based on precedents and established guidelines. Solves problems using standard procedures and precedents. Knows when to refer issues to supervisor and when to handle them personally.
Knowledge and Skills
Has a working knowledge of a skill or discipline that requires basic analytic ability. Has an overall understanding of the work environment and process. Has working knowledge of the organization.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Requires interaction with co-workers, residents or vendors
- Occasional weekend, evening or night work if needed to ensure shift coverage.
- Use hands and fingers to handle or feel
- Reach with hands and arms
- Possible exposure to communicable diseases and infections
- Climb or balance
- Stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
- Talk or hear
- Taste or smell
- Exposure to latex
- Ability to lift: Up to 50 pounds
- Possible exposure to blood-borne pathogens
- Possible exposure to various drugs, chemical, infectious, or biological hazards
- Subject to injury from falls, burns, odors, or cuts from equipment
Brookdale is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.