Custodian - Public Area Attendant
Every day is an opportunity for our associates to deeply connect with people in a profound and personal way. Our associates are the core of our mission and we know that offering them genuine rewards and heart filling job satisfaction is the key to our success as a company. Here you’ll find opportunities to grow your career at any level whether you have direct contact with resident or support someone who does, and be inspired personally. With over 60,000 associates, there’s a place for you to make a difference in lives of the families we serve throughout our continuum of care.
Under close supervision, is responsible for the upkeep and cleanliness of all public areas in the community, including lobbies, halls, stairwells, activities rooms, dining rooms, elevators, etc. to present the community in a positive and impressive manner for residents and guests. Interacts with residents and guests in a friendly and courteous manner, providing assistance and directions, as requested.
- Cleans public area floors to include sweeping, dusting, damp/wet mopping, stripping, waxing, buffing, disinfecting, etc. Properly sets up appropriate caution and safety signs to ensure safety of residents and visitors; removes signs as appropriate. Cleans carpets including vacuuming, shampooing, deodorizing, and disinfecting.
- Removes dirt, dust, grease, film, etc., from surfaces using proper cleaning/disinfecting solutions. Handles hazardous cleaning supplies according to proper procedures and ensures accurate labeling.
- Cleans public restrooms including washing, sanitizing, and/or polishing bathroom fixtures. Ensures water marks are removed from fixtures.
- Logs cleaning activities as required by procedures.
- Maintains a clean and orderly work area.
- Monitors cleaning supplies and reports inventory to supervisor.
- Reports any equipment irregularities to supervisor.
- Strives to maintain a safe working environment through the prevention of accidents, the preservation of equipment, and the achievement of safe working practices.
- Responds appropriately to resident emergencies by calling or contacting appropriate internal and external parties, according to established protocol. May also assist with disaster management efforts and activities during evacuations (i.e. fires, hurricanes, etc.).
This job description represents an overview of the responsibilities for the above referenced position. It is not intended to represent a comprehensive list of responsibilities. An associate should perform all duties as assigned by his/her supervisor.
Education and Experience
High school diploma or General Education Diploma (GED). Prior experience in cleaning or housekeeping preferred.
Certifications, Licenses, and Other Special Requirements
Makes standard and routine decisions based on detailed guidelines with little independent judgment. Problems are generally solved with clear, detailed guidelines or by reporting them to a supervisor.
Knowledge and Skills
Has a basic level of a skill and can follow written or verbal instructions. Has basic technical skills to complete a few repetitive and well-defined duties. Has a basic knowledge of the organization in order to answer basic questions. Ability to respect the privacy of residents and to refrain from discussing their personnel situations and problems with other residents, particularly as it may relate to their health. Must be willing to communicate with residents of various levels of functioning and various types of personalities. Ability to complete cleaning tasks in a timely, effective and efficient manner.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Requires interaction with co-workers, residents or vendors
- Occasional weekend, evening or night work if needed to ensure shift coverage.
- Use hands and fingers to handle or feel
- Reach with hands and arms
- Possible exposure to communicable diseases and infections
- Climb or balance
- Stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
- Talk or hear
- Exposure to latex
- Ability to lift: Up to 50 pounds
- Possible exposure to blood-borne pathogens
- Possible exposure to various drugs, chemical, infectious, or biological hazards
- Subject to injury from falls, burns, odors, or cuts from equipment
Brookdale is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.