Director of Financial Services
Full Time Director of Financial Services
Brookdale Galleria - 2929 Post Oak Blvd, Houston, TX 77056
Make Lives Better Including Your Own.
The happiness of those we serve is dependent on the happiness of our associates, so you’ll receive competitive compensation and a benefits package with additional perks designed to make you smile. The work you do will be challenging yet rewarding. But you’ll earn more than a paycheck; you can enjoy opportunities to grow your career, as well as ongoing programs catered to your health, financial, mental, and emotional needs. Most of all, we believe you can find purpose, meaning, and the chance to be a part of something bigger than yourself.
Veterans, transitioning active duty military personnel, and military spouses are encouraged to apply.
Under administrative direction, manages the community’s budget and financial operations.
- Manages the forecasting, analysis, and reconciliation of the annual budget process for assigned community(s). Distributes and communicates corporate templates and information requests from corporate to department heads, and meets to obtain and discuss budget proposals for the coming year. Applies financial models, evaluates forecasted numbers, and obtains explanations and justifications from department heads relating to significant increases and decreases from previous periods. Partners with department heads to scrutinize planning based upon prior activity, occupancy levels, financial models, etc. Conducts cost/benefit analysis for proposed spending.
- Incorporates corporate NOI expectations into budget planning. Identifies and discusses potential enhancements and obstacles in meeting expected numbers.
- Meets with Executive Director (ED) to discuss and resolve budget issues concerning departments’ forecasting and planned spending. Presents issues and organizes meetings with ED and department heads to formulate analysis and confirm facts.
- Critically reviews capital expense requests (CER). Discusses justifications and priorities with department heads and Executive Director. Follows corporate purchasing guidelines and tracks approved capital spending. Finalizes numbers with ED and prepares Power Point presentation for Business Plan Review with guidance from ED. Provides justifications and effectively communicates needs.
- Communicates finalized budget numbers to department heads and educates regarding meaning.
- Monitors budget expenses throughout the year. Routinely distributes reports and meets with Department heads to discuss financial performance and ensure integrity of data. Reconciles plan variances. Provides solutions and suggests corrective financial and operational action to department heads and ED. Alerts ED regarding anticipated difficulties in meeting NOI targets. Obtains ED’s directives regarding budget and operational changes and incorporates into budget.
- Prepares and supervises the preparation of routine and specially requested statistical and financial reports and analysis for review by ED. Identifies and presents trend lines and projections relating to income and expenses. Reconciles accounts and interprets results.
- Submits monthly and quarterly food service, central supply, housekeeping inventory reports to corporate office. Routinely monitors inventories of supplies. Conducts cost/benefit analysis for current and proposed resources. Analyzes buy versus lease decisions equipment. Audits cash handling and purchasing/bid processes to ensure compliance, to assess credibility of vendors, and to conduct proper analysis of bids.
- Supervises Business Office staff and operations in the processing of payroll, invoices and receipt of payments from residents. Ensures that corporate policies and procedures relating to cash, accounting, collections, purchasing, budget and payroll are followed to maintain SOX compliance.
- Proactively manages DSO rates and follows collection procedures to obtain payments and reduce DSO. Reconciles resident accounts and informs ED regarding residents behind in fee payments. Reviews aging of accounts receivables and recommends bad debt write-offs.
- Prepares and posts notifications to residents regarding rate increases as approved by corporate office. Routinely posts and calculates interest payments for resident’s security deposits. Requests security deposit refunds for departing residents. Reviews other credits for residents and approves refunds as appropriate.
- Upon request, may provide financial information relating to expansion and renovations in community. Assists with financial studies and projections as it may relate to the profitability of expanded services. May assist ED regarding coordination of construction phases with operational requirements.
This job description represents an overview of the responsibilities for the above referenced position. It is not intended to represent a comprehensive list of responsibilities. An associate should perform all duties as assigned by his/her supervisor.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree in accounting, management, business, or related field; or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. Minimum of five years of progressive accounting experience for an operations center within a large multi-facility corporation. Prior experience in the health care industry and professional certifications are preferred. Prior supervisory experience is a plus.
Communities with Skilled Nursing Facilities:
Additional 2 years of accounting experience that includes Medicare processing and rules and regulations.
Communities with Entry Fees:
Prior experience that includes extensive knowledge of the financial implications and the state insurance rules and regulations governing Entry Fee communities and similar arrangements.
Certifications, Licenses, and Other Special Requirements
Applies existing guidelines and procedures to make varied decisions within a department. Uses sound judgment and experience to solve moderately complex problems based on precedent, example, reasonableness or a combination of these.
Knowledge and Skills
Possesses extensive knowledge of a distinct skill or function and a thorough understanding of the organization and work environment. Has working knowledge of a functional discipline. Excellent written and oral communication skills are essential. Windows environment computer skills are required (Microsoft Word, Excel, etc., preferred). Effective organizational skills are a must. Comprehensive knowledge of accounting principles and practices including the concepts of financial modeling, budget preparation, administration, and proper cash handling procedures.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Use hands and fingers to handle or feel
- Reach with hands and arms
- Talk or hear
- Ability to lift: up to 25 pounds
- Requires interaction with co-workers, residents or vendors
- Occasional weekend, evening or night work if needed to ensure shift coverage
- Requires Travel: Occasionally
Brookdale is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.