Director of Health and Wellness Hire Ahead Program in Greater Columbus
Brookdale Senior Living
Health and Wellness Director - Hire Ahead Program
Greater Columbus, Ohio
Every day is an opportunity for our associates to deeply connect with people in a profound and personal way. Our associates are the core of our mission and we know that offering them genuine rewards and heart filling job satisfaction is the key to our success as a company. Here you’ll find opportunities to grow your career at any level whether you have direct contact with resident or support someone who does, and be inspired personally. With over 60,000 associates, there’s a place for you to make a difference in lives of the families we serve throughout our continuum of care.
At Brookdale we offer a competitive salary with great bonus potential. An excellent benefits package that includes: health/dental/vision plan options, an educational reimbursement incentive and 401(k) for full-time associates.
Participate in on-the-job training experiences for the Health and Wellness Director role, learn new skills about senior living, and be able to demonstrate increasing proficiency and expertise with managerial and clinical responsibilities within the Brookdale organization. The Brookdale Bench Program will prepare you to assume the Health & Wellness Director role at one of our communities including, but not limited to areas of people management, clinical management, quality care and regulatory oversight when you assume the role of a Health and Wellness Director.
- Responsible for the direct supervision of community-based licensed nursing staff (LPN/LVN, RN), the Med Techs/CMAs (if required by State Regulations) and/or Lead Resident Care Associates and may also supervise Resident Care Coordinators and Supervisor, Resident Care.
- Assigns and directs work of subordinates; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining associates; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Provides training, supervision, and monitoring of associates in the administration of medications as described/allowed in Nurse Practice Act, to include auditing of medication administration records.
- Provides training and education to resident care associates on an ongoing basis with classroom in-services, and situation-specific training.
- Supervises the maintenance of resident charts and reviews documentation performed by care giving staff.
- As described and allowed in the Nurse Practice Act, assesses health, functional and psycho-social status of residents, initiates individualized service plans, proactively manages care and services for each resident, evaluates effectiveness and maximizes the resident's opportunity to remain in their environment.
- Manages the health care of residents, including the dissemination of information to families and associates. Ensures that family members are aware of resident's need for scheduled appointments.
- Participates in pre-admission screening of prospective new residents. Assures that required documentation is completed prior to or upon resident admission, including nursing assessments, service plans, and other assigned forms. Updates assessments as required by policy and as described/allowed in Nurse Practice Act.
- Performs on-site evaluations of residents admitted to alternate care environments for treatment, and maintains contact with resident families with the intent of returning resident to Brookdale.
- Performs ongoing assessment/observation of residents' physical and psycho-social needs and coordinates with other departments to assure quality, proactive care.
- Evaluates residents; documents changes in condition, and notifies executive director, physician, and resident’s legally responsible party/family of resident's condition and reactions.
- Communicates with physicians regarding residents' status and condition changes. Ensures residents are prepared for physician appointments, prepares Physician Visit Form and reviews and updates resident chart.
- Facilitates continuity of care for those residents receiving home health care, hospice services, and other third party healthcare- related services.
- Participates in or leads meetings relevant to resident care issues, such as Service Plan meetings, involving appropriate parties as needed.
- Ensures in-house ancillary medical services such as podiatrist, doctor visits, dental visits, psych visits, lab, X-ray, ambulance, etc. are scheduled and followed through.
- Participates in department quality improvement activities.
- Assists in keeping the environment safe for associates to reduce the occurrence of Workers’ Compensation claims by appropriately evaluating resident transfer and mobility needs and involving therapy services as indicated.
- Shares on-call and manager on duty responsibilities/shifts as required.
This job description represents an overview of the responsibilities for the above referenced position. It is not intended to represent a comprehensive list of responsibilities. An associate should perform all duties as assigned by his/ her supervisor.
Education and Experience
Graduation from an accredited school of Nursing to obtain state nursing license (LPN/LVN or RN) and a minimum of 3 years relevant experience. Basic typing skills along with a working knowledge of personal computing and word processing software are required, preferably in a Microsoft Windows environment.
Certifications, Licenses, and Other Special Requirements
Applies existing guidelines and procedures to make varied decisions within a department. Uses sound judgment and experience to solve moderately complex problems based on precedent, example, reasonableness or a combination of these.
Knowledge and Skills
Possesses extensive knowledge of a distinct skill or function and a thorough understanding of the organization and work environment. Has working knowledge of a functional discipline.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Use hands and fingers to handle or feel
- Reach with hands and arms
- Stoop, kneel, crouch crawl
- Talk or hear
- Ability to lift: up to 25 pounds
- Requires interaction with co-workers, residents or vendors
- Occasional weekend, evening or night work if needed to ensure shift coverage
- Exposure to latex
- Requires Travel: Occasionally
Brookdale is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.