Director of Nursing
Every day is an opportunity for our associates to deeply connect with people in a profound and personal way. Our associates are the core of our mission and we know that offering them genuine rewards and heart filling job satisfaction is the key to our success as a company. Here you’ll find opportunities to grow your career at any level whether you have direct contact with resident or support someone who does, and be inspired personally. With over 60,000 associates, there’s a place for you to make a difference in lives of the families we serve throughout our continuum of care.
Plans, organizes, develops, and directs the overall operations of the Clinical Services Department in accordance with federal, state and local standards. Responsible and accountable for maintaining the highest degree of quality care at all times.
- Directs, coordinates, and monitors nursing care delivery to assure safe, effective, and appropriate care. Ensures residents' rights are maintained at all times.
- Oversees the assessment of comprehensive nursing needs of each resident using acceptable long term care assessment tools and according to state and federal time frames. Oversees the coordination of care plans for each resident.
- Works with other team members to monitor day to day care levels of residents for quality assurance and to verify appropriate levels of care are established according to Medicare/Medicaid reimbursement levels.
- Maintains care plans for each resident; monitors medication and treatment schedules; works with attending physicians to ensure care plans are followed; and provides direct care when required.
- Establishes and implements Quality Assurance Performance Improvement Program for improved resident care, and quality of life programs according to company policies and as required by federal regulations.
- Participates in Community Surveys completed by authorized government agencies. Monitors the community Quality Indicators and survey reports. Assists with the development of Success Plans of identified areas of opportunity.
- Develops and implements a Clinical Services organizational structure. Determines staffing needs; recruits, selects, hires, and orients nursing staff/direct care personnel. Assists the Human Resource Director and Health Care Administrator with recruitment and selection of Clinical Services Associates. Completes associate performance evaluations and disciplinary action as needed. Delegates’ authority to supervisory/lead staff.
- Reviews complaints and grievances filed by personnel and/or residents. Reports and investigates all allegations of abuse and/or misappropriation of resident property. Reports suspected or known violations of disclosure of resident protected health information.
- Coordinates ancillary services.
- Oversees the coordination of MDS to ensure timeliness of submissions.
- Maintains the policy and procedures that govern day-to-day functions in the Clinical Services Department. Develops, implements, and ensures nursing standards and department operation standards meet or exceed federal and state regulatory requirements. Plans, develops, and implements the Clinical Systems in accordance with current rules, regulations, and guidelines that govern long term care.
- Assists in preparing the nursing department’s budget; prepares monthly variance report; monitors equipment and supplies. Maintains Medicare/Medicaid reimbursements according to established categories.
- Plans, develops, and implements safe practices for resident safety in accordance with state, federal, and OSHA regulations, and ensures that policies and procedures in regards to resident safety are followed by staff and by residents. Develops and implements safety standards and regulations for equipment, supplies, and resident care rooms.
- Assists the Quality Improvement Nurse in establishing infection control and immunization processes, and in developing and delivering training programs to meet continuing education requirements.
- Serves on and attends various committees of the community as appointed by the Health Care Administrator. Evaluates and implements recommendations from the various committees pertaining to Clinical Services.
- Oversees, manages and delegates all roles and responsibilities of the Assistant Director of Clinical Services and the Quality Improvement Nurse, Clinical Services.
- Completes other duties assigned.
This job description represents an overview of the responsibilities for the above referenced position. It is not intended to represent a comprehensive list of responsibilities. An associate should perform all duties as assigned by his/her supervisor.
Education and Experience
Nursing Degree from an accredited college or university; must possess a minimum of three to five years related supervisory experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience including one year of management experience. Long term care experience preferred.
Certifications, Licenses, and Other Special Requirements
Must have valid and current state (RN) license, issued by appropriate state licensing agency. Must be CPR certified.
Applies existing guidelines and procedures to make varied decisions within a department. Uses sound judgment and experience to solve moderately complex problems based on precedent, example, reasonableness or a combination of these.
Knowledge and Skills
Possesses extensive knowledge of a distinct skill or function and a thorough understanding of the organization and work environment. Has working knowledge of a functional discipline. Effective written and oral communication skills. Ability to work effectively in a team environment. Ability to maintain privacy and confidentiality with regard to patient and staff information. Possesses basic level computer skills including Outlook, Word, and Excel. Ability to create and maintain an atmosphere of warmth, personal interest, positive emphasis and a calm environment.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Use hands and fingers to handle or feel
- Reach with hands and arms
- Stoop, kneel, crouch crawl
- Talk or hear
- Ability to lift: up to 25 pounds
- Requires interaction with co-workers, residents or vendors
- Occasional weekend, evening or night work if needed to ensure shift coverage
- On-Call on an as needed basis
- Possible exposure to communicable diseases and infections
- Potential injury from transferring, repositioning, or lifting residents
- Exposure to latex
- Possible exposure to blood-borne pathogens
- Possible exposure to various drugs, chemical, infectious, or biological hazards
- Requires Travel: Occasionally
Brookdale is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.