Every day is an opportunity for our associates to deeply connect with people in a profound and personal way. Our associates are the core of our mission and we know that offering them genuine rewards and heart filling job satisfaction is the key to our success as a company. Here you’ll find opportunities to grow your career at any level whether you have direct contact with resident or support someone who does, and be inspired personally. With over 60,000 associates, there’s a place for you to make a difference in lives of the families we serve throughout our continuum of care.
Plans, directs, and coordinates activities of the dietary department at one or more locations, and provides food services for residents and employees. Responsible for providing a quality dietary experience by overseeing dietary staff and maintaining a pleasant and clean environment.
- Establishes departmental regulations and procedures in conformance with administrative policies.
- Develops standards for organization and supervision of dietary services.
- Maintains quality dietary services within the prescribed budget.
- Determines quality and quantity of food required; plans menus and controls food costs; may be scheduled to prepare meals.
- Works closely with divisional dietary services specialist and consults with dietitian when necessary to ensure meals meet the nutritional requirements of the residents.
- Oversees the food preparation and cooking, to ensure meals are prepared per Brookdale procedures.
- Makes frequent inspections of all work, storage, and serving areas to determine that regulations governing food safety and sanitation are followed.
- Prepares cleaning schedule, production worksheet and staff schedules.
- Maintains inventory of food and nonfood items.
- Selects, orients, and trains new employees in department; effectively delegates authority to dining services staff to ensure effective flow of materials and services.
- Develops and directs cost control system; prepares and submits department budget to residence director/executive director.
- Maintains appropriate documentation in resident's medical records.
- Provides nutrition education and counseling for residents; presents dining services education program to dining services and other staff as needed.
- Ensures safe work procedures are developed and followed, to include those relating to employee injuries, prevention, and infection control.
- Ensures a continuous quality improvement program is in place and appropriate follow-up occurs.
This job description represents an overview of the responsibilities for the above referenced position. It is not intended to represent a comprehensive list of responsibilities. An associate should perform all duties as assigned by his/her supervisor.
Education and Experience
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required. Minimum of two to four years’ experience in dietary services, commercial kitchen, operation and line cooking, and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certifications, Licenses, and Other Special Requirements
Current ServSafe Certification required. Obtain/hold any local, state and/or county required food handling/sanitation licenses and/or certificates.
Applies existing guidelines and procedures to make varied decisions within a department. Uses sound judgment and experience to solve moderately complex problems based on precedent, example, reasonableness or a combination of these.
Knowledge and Skills
Possesses extensive knowledge of a distinct skill or function and a thorough understanding of the organization and work environment. Has working knowledge of a functional discipline.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Requires interaction with co-workers, residents or vendors
- Use hands and fingers to handle or feel
- On-Call on an as needed basis
- Reach with hands and arms
- Stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
- Talk or hear
- Taste or smell
- Ability to lift: Up to 25 pounds
- Subject to injury from falls, burns, odors, or cuts from equipment
Brookdale is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.