Every day is an opportunity for our associates to deeply connect with people in a profound and personal way. Our associates are the core of our mission and we know that offering them genuine rewards and heart filling job satisfaction is the key to our success as a company. Here you’ll find opportunities to grow your career at any level whether you have direct contact with resident or support someone who does, and be inspired personally. With over 60,000 associates, there’s a place for you to make a difference in lives of the families we serve throughout our continuum of care.
Supervises select members of staff involved in processing payrolls. Provides assistance and oversight in payroll software configuration related to testing new features, enhancements, and periodic updates. Assists in monitoring workload and evaluates direct reports; may review the evaluations/development plans of others. Ensures team members acquire necessary skills and performance attributes, in line with business and personal development needs.
- Supervises the Payroll Garnishment Coordinator and Payroll Assistant(s).
- Responsible for executing various payroll audits during weekly processing (including rapid paysheet and bonus uploads).
- Participates in project teams to implement selected recommendations in partnership with other internal departments.
- Assists Payroll Tax Specialist with reconciliations, audits, and amendments.
- Creates, cancels, and reissues manual payroll checks, as required, in case of payroll errors or terminations pertaining to prior period adjustments.
- Processes relocation reimbursements in accordance with IRS guidelines.
- Processes stock option related payrolls.
- Participates in the integration of payroll for mergers and acquisitions.
- Responds to requests from other departments, such as Accounting/Finance or Human Resources, for detailed and summary payroll data.
- Serves as primary back up for Payroll Tax Specialist, Payroll Process Specialist, and Garnishment Specialist.
- Selects, trains, motivates, and counsels staff, reviews staff performance, and recommends salary adjustments when appropriate to ensure a competent, productive, and motivated staff.
This job description represents an overview of the responsibilities for the above referenced position. It is not intended to represent a comprehensive list of responsibilities. An associate should perform all duties as assigned by his/her supervisor.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Business or Accounting. Minimum of four years payroll processing and related tax experience. Previous supervisory experience. PeopleSoft North American Payroll experience (v8.8 or higher) to include payroll related table configuration experience (company, earnings, deductions, taxes) and proficiency in writing complex PeopleSoft queries, preferred. Experience with quarterly, annual, and W2/W2C (Federal, State and Local) tax processes. Garnishment set up experience and a demonstrated understanding of priorities, rules, and proration's. Experience with reversal/adjustment and manual check processes. Experience writing and executing test scripts for payroll system for periodic tax updates, upgrades, new features, and functionality, preferred.
Certifications, Licenses, and Other Special Requirements
Applies existing guidelines and procedures to make varied decisions within a department. Uses sound judgment and experience to solve moderately complex problems based on precedent, example, reasonableness or a combination of these.
Knowledge and Skills
Possesses extensive knowledge of a distinct skill or function and a thorough understanding of the organization and work environment. Has working knowledge of a functional discipline. Proficiency using ADP FACS website and services to include the ability to complete periodic/quarterly file transmissions and balancing. Ability to understand and quickly resolve tracer issues. Ability to prepare amendments and returns using FACS website. Demonstrated ability to reconcile PeopleSoft tax balances to ADP balances, and ability to resolve discrepancies. Ability to reconcile general ledger entries on payroll items and billings. Ability to prepare all tax returns. Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, Access, and Outlook. Effective oral and written communication skills. Ability to perform work with a high degree of accuracy. Ability to coordinate work to meet deadlines. Ability to prioritize duties and function effectively in a multi-task environment.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Use hands and fingers to handle or feel
- Reach with hands and arms
- Talk or hear
- Ability to lift: up to 25 pounds
- Requires interaction with co-workers, residents or vendors
- Occasional weekend, evening or night work if needed to ensure shift coverage
- On-Call on an as needed basis
Brookdale is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.