PRN Hospice Social Worker LMSW
Immediately Hiring Nationwide
Every day is an opportunity for our associates to deeply connect with people in a profound and personal way. Our associates are the core of our mission and we know that offering them genuine rewards and heart filling job satisfaction is the key to our success as a company. Here you’ll find opportunities to grow your career at any level whether you have direct contact with resident or support someone who does, and be inspired personally. With over 60,000 associates, there’s a place for you to make a difference in lives of the families we serve throughout our continuum of care.
Responsible for the implementation of standards of care for medical social work services and for adherence to essential job functions, state and federal regulations. Establishes, implements, and evaluates goals and objectives for social services to meet and promote the standards of quality and contribute to the organization’s mission and philosophy.
- Assesses the psychosocial status of patients and families/caregivers related to the patient's terminal illness and environment. Communicates findings to the registered nurse and other members of the interdisciplinary group. Provides an assessment in the patient's identified residence and assists when it is not safe and another plan is required.
- Carries out social evaluations, including family dynamics, caregiver abilities, communication patterns, high-risks for suicide, neglect or abuse and plans intervention based on evaluation findings.
- Counsels patient and family/caregivers as needed regarding stress and other identified coping difficulties. Provides crisis intervention when necessary.
- Assesses for, and educates interdisciplinary group, on any special needs related to the culture of the patient and family. Includes communication, role of family, space, and any special traditions or taboos.
- Maintains clinical records on all patients referred to social work.
- Provides information and referral services for organization patients and families/caregivers regarding practical and environmental needs.
- Serves as liaison between patients and families/caregivers and community agencies. Ensures seamless home care services by providing direct oversight and coordination of care with other clinical service providers.
- Maintains collaborative relationships with organization personnel to support patient care.
- Maintains comprehensive working knowledge of community resources and assists referral sources in accessing community resources should services not be provided by Brookdale Healthcare Services Hospice.
- Directs all daily patient social service operations including providing direct oversight of the establishment and implementation of social service policies.
- Ensures compliance with all state, federal, and CHAP social service regulatory requirements.
- Participates in the development of the individualized plan of care, involving the patient and family, and attends regularly scheduled interdisciplinary group meetings, assisting the team in recognizing the effects of the psychosocial stresses on the symptoms of the terminal illness.
- Actively participates in quality assessment performance improvement teams and activities.
This job description represents an overview of the responsibilities for the above referenced position. It is not intended to represent a comprehensive list of responsibilities. An associate should perform all duties as assigned by his/her supervisor.
Education and Experience
Master’s Degree in Social Work or in a human services field, including but not limited to sociology, special education, gerontology, rehabilitation counseling, and psychology; and previous experience in a healthcare setting working directly with individuals.
Certifications, Licenses, and Other Special Requirements
Must be a licensed driver with an automobile that is insured in accordance with state and/or Organization requirements and is in good working order. (MSW degree sufficient in states that do not require professional licensure as prerequisite to practice.)
Applies existing guidelines and procedures to make varied decisions within a department. Uses sound judgment and experience to solve moderately complex problems based on precedent, example, reasonableness or a combination of these.
Knowledge and Skills
Possess extensive knowledge of a distinct skill or function and a thorough understanding of the organization and work environment. Has working knowledge of a functional discipline. Must possess leadership ability and willingness to work effectively with other associates. Ability to deal tactfully with customers and the community. Knowledge of corporate business management, governmental regulations and CHAP standards. Demonstrates effective communication and public relations skills. Demonstrates autonomy, organization, assertiveness, and flexibility and cooperation in performing job responsibilities. Demonstrates strong verbal and written communication, and organization skills. Understands hospice philosophy.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Use hands and fingers to handle or feel
- Reach with hands and arms
- Climb or balance
- Stoop, kneel, crouch crawl
- Talk or hear
- Taste or smell
- Ability to lift: up to 50 pounds
- Requires interaction with co-workers, residents or vendors
- Occasional weekend, evening or night work if needed to ensure shift coverage
- On-Call on an as needed basis
- Possible exposure to communicable diseases and infections
- Potential injury from transferring, repositioning, or lifting residents
- Exposure to latex
- Possible exposure to blood-borne pathogens
- Possible exposure to various drugs, chemical, infectious, or biological hazards
- Requires Travel: Occasionally
Brookdale is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.