PRN Speech Therapy Opportunity - Auburn
Immediate Opportunities Nationwide!
Nurse On Call by Brookdale is looking for additional PRN Speech Therapists for the Auburn area, specifically Brookdale Eddy Pond and the general community surrounding that area.
Make Lives Better Including Your Own.
The happiness of those we serve is dependent on the happiness of our associates, so you’ll receive competitive compensation and a benefits package with additional perks designed to make you smile. The work you do will be challenging yet rewarding. But you’ll earn more than a paycheck; you can enjoy opportunities to grow your career, as well as ongoing programs catered to your health, financial, mental, and emotional needs. Most of all, we believe you can find purpose, meaning, and the chance to be a part of something bigger than yourself.
Identifies and treats patients with speech, language, voice, and fluency disorders. Improves patient’s communication skills through vocal exercises and cognitive therapies. May select alternative communication systems and teach their use. May perform research related to speech and language problems.
- Optimizes communication, cognitive and swallowing skills of patients by performing or supervising therapy staff in initiating referrals; evaluating and treating appropriate patients; effectively participating in the care planning process; appropriately documenting progress toward identified objectives and communicating patient status and needs to the patient, the patient’s family, the staff and other professionals as appropriate.
- Establishes individual patient schedules in conjunction with other team members.
- Develops treatment plans by identifying a problem list, including long and short-term goals and methods to achieve identified goals. Confers formally and informally with the physician and other team members in coordinating the total rehabilitation program of the patient.
- Coordinates treatment plan with patient, family and other team members. Implements and conducts treatment as outlined in the treatment plan. Monitors patient’s response to intervention and modifies treatment as indicated to attain goals in accordance with physician’s orders. Adapts treatment to meet the individual needs of the patient.
- Documents results of patient’s assessment, treatment, follow-up and termination of services.
- Recommends and obtains appropriate equipment to improve patient’s communication. Instructs patient, family and staff in use of augmentative communication devices.
- Instructs patient, family and staff in appropriate speech language procedures or home program to allow carryover of therapeutic remediation and goals in daily activities.
- Reviews the quality and appropriateness of the total services delivered and of individual speech language pathology programs for effectiveness and efficiency, using predetermined criteria.
- Reviews the quality and appropriateness of the total services delivered and of individual speech language pathology programs for effectiveness and efficiency, using predetermined criteria. Submits billing, payroll and expense documentation in an accurate and timely manner. Assists in the collection of statistics as directed.
- Adheres to Brookdale Healthcare Services policies and procedures. Complies with all Infection Control, Universal Precautions, and OSHA standards for the healthcare professional.
- Assumes responsibility for ongoing continuing education and professional development. Attends in-service training as well as provides education to members of the patient care team and members of the community.
This job description represents an overview of the responsibilities for the above referenced position. It is not intended to represent a comprehensive list of responsibilities. An associate should perform all duties as assigned by his/her supervisor.
Education and Experience
Master’s Degree in Speech Language Pathology from an accredited program.
Certifications, Licenses, and Other Special Requirements
License to practice speech language pathology within the state. Certificate of Clinical Competency or eligibility
for Clinical Fellowship Year. Ability to work varying hours, including weekends and holidays.
Uses limited independent judgment to make decisions based on precedents and established guidelines. Solves problems using standard procedures and precedents. Knows when to refer issues to supervisor and when to handle them personally.
Knowledge and Skills
Has a working knowledge of a skill or discipline that requires basic analytic ability. Has an overall understanding of the working environment and process. Has working knowledge of the organization. Basic computer software skills in Microsoft Word and Excel. Ability to work holidays and weekends as operation demands. Ability to maintain the highest standards of ethical professional and clinical judgment. Ability to address staff and patients in a courteous and friendly manner as well as accept constructive criticism. Must be willing to communicate with patients of various levels of functioning and various types of personalities. Willingness to communicate perceived physical and emotional needs of patients to other skilled staff to assist with addressing their care needs.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Use hands and fingers to handle or feel
- Reach with hands and arms
- Climb or balance
- Stoop, kneel, crouch crawl
- Talk or hear
- Taste or smell
- Ability to lift: up to 50 pounds
- Requires interaction with co-workers, residents or vendors
- Occasional weekend, evening or night work if needed to ensure shift coverage
- On-Call on an as needed basis
- Possible exposure to communicable diseases and infections
- Potential injury from transferring, repositioning, or lifting residents
- Exposure to latex
- Possible exposure to blood-borne pathogens
- Possible exposure to various drugs, chemical, infectious, or biological hazards
- Subject to injury from falls, burns, odors, or cuts from equipment
- Requires Travel: Occasionally
Brookdale is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.