Public Relations Specialist
Make Lives Better Including Your Own.
The happiness of those we serve is dependent on the happiness of our associates, so you’ll receive competitive compensation and a benefits package with additional perks designed to make you smile. The work you do will be challenging yet rewarding. But you’ll earn more than a paycheck; you can enjoy opportunities to grow your career, as well as ongoing programs catered to your health, financial, mental, and emotional needs. Most of all, we believe you can find purpose, meaning, and the chance to be a part of something bigger than yourself.
Veterans, transitioning active duty military personnel, and military spouses are encouraged to apply.
We believe that in order to best serve our residents and patients, we need to first serve our associates. One way we do that is through our benefits. Our offerings include, but are not limited to:
Full-time and part-time associate benefits:
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan
- Benefit plan package
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit
- Associate Compassion Fund
- Associate Discounts
- Identity theft protection
- Pet savings and insurance plans
- Voluntary benefits available
Full-time associate benefits:
- Extensive Insurance Plans, including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending account, health savings account and more.
- Paid Time Off
- Adoption Benefit
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Company-provided life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D)
- Voluntary STD and LTD
Please note, Brookdale has adopted a policy requiring all associates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to limited exemptions based on medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, or applicable state laws and regulations.
Provides tactical public and media relations support across the enterprise. Provides proactive external communications outreach execution, as well as 24/7 responsive communications to both routine and sensitive issues and crises, primarily at the local community level. Leads proactive media opportunities and message development for story-telling opportunities with residents, families, associates, and media, and serves as spokesperson when appropriate. Serves as support for crisis communications management for operations team.
- Serves as media liaison and spokesperson in both positive and adverse media situations.
- Shares responsibility as first communications contact for community support, inside and outside of regular business hours.
- Provides crisis communications support to communities and interacts with local media during crisis situations as appropriate.
- Supports the development of messaging and talking points for media interviews, participates in and monitors interviews done by approved community spokespersons.
- Shares ownership of Brookdale’s online news media room content and microsite.
- Leads media monitoring and PR analytics for trends and opportunities and recommends appropriate actions.
- Develops daily company e-newsletter.
- Promotes positive reputation of Brookdale through localized initiatives by identifying, creating content/writing, and positioning positive stories about Brookdale communities.
This job description represents an overview of the responsibilities for the above referenced position. It is not intended to represent a comprehensive list of responsibilities. An associate should perform all duties as assigned by his/her supervisor.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism or other related field required. Minimum three years of communications, employee engagement, or organizational development experience required; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certifications, Licenses, and other Special Requirements
Applies existing guidelines and procedures to make varied decisions within a department. Uses sound judgment and experience to solve moderately complex problems based on precedent, example, reasonableness or a combination of these.
Knowledge and Skills
Possesses extensive knowledge of a distinct skill or function and a thorough understanding of the organization and work environment. Has working knowledge of a functional discipline. Possesses superior creative writing, editing and proofreading skills for web and print, including working knowledge and application of AP style. Ability to synthesize multiple perspectives into clear, concise, engaging messages for diverse audiences. Excellent relationship-building and interpersonal communication skills. Customer service attitude and commitment to supporting company culture and mission. Ability to prioritize multiple projects and meet deadlines under pressure. Ability to respond appropriately to confidential and sensitive issues. Solid command of Microsoft Office programs including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook and Adobe Acrobat.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Use hands and fingers to handle or feel
- Reach with hands and arms
- Stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
- Talk or hear
- Ability to lift: up to 25 pounds
- Requires interaction with co-workers, residents or vendors
- Occasional weekend, evening or night work if needed to ensure shift coverage
- On-Call on an as needed basis
- Requires Travel: Occasionally
Brookdale is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.