Resident Care Coord
Immediately Hiring!Every day is an opportunity for our associates to deeply connect with people in a profound and personal way. Our associates are the core of our mission and we know that offering them genuine rewards and heart filling job satisfaction is the key to our success as a company. Here you’ll find opportunities to grow your career at any level whether you have direct contact with resident or support someone who does, and be inspired personally. With over 60,000 associates, there’s a place for you to make a difference in lives of the families we serve throughout our continuum of care.
Provides direct supervision of care giving within the community. Ensures residents are treated with respect and dignity recognizing individual needs and encouraging independence. Fosters a homelike atmosphere throughout the community.
- Provides direct supervision of resident care staff, which includes monitoring job performance, conducting associate performance evaluations, coaching and counseling associates and conducting and documenting corrective action as needed.
- Coordinates training and education of resident care staff on an ongoing basis.
- Verifies all associate hours on time cards and weekly hour’s report. Completes nursing schedules to assure proper coverage to meet resident needs and according to budget.
- Assigns weekly blood pressures and weights to rotating shifts.
- Monitors staff in administration of medication, to include frequents audits of medication sheets.
- Assists the Health and Wellness Director in medication management, including administration of medications to residents, ordering medication from pharmacy and maintaining records as dictated in Brookdale Senior Living policies and procedures manual. Assures that medications are properly stored, medication carts/cupboards are cleaned and medication room is organized according to standards.
- Observes residents health status, takes actions to address concerns within scope of practice, and reports all significant changes, reactions to medications and treatment or significant incidences to Health and Wellness Director in a timely manner. Reviews capabilities of resident who self-administer medications on a regular basis (refer to state regulations regarding medication assistance and documentation).
- Conducts pre-admission screening of prospective new residents when assigned by supervisor and updates every six months or as needed. Assures that all required documentation, including service plans and nursing assessments, is completed.
- Performs ongoing assessments of resident physical and psycho-social needs and coordinates with nurse to assure quality proactive care as allowed by state regulation.
- Communicates to families regarding resident's personal needs and achievements. Reminds families of need for scheduled physician, dental, or eye appointments.
- Assists in organizing and developing service plan reviews as required, with appropriate resident care team members and resident families.
- Observes residents, records significant reactions, and notifies Executive Director, Health and Wellness Director, physician, and pharmacist (as applicable) of resident's condition and reaction to drugs, treatments, and significant incidents.
- Responds promptly to all emergency calls from residents, including residents residing in independent section of community.
- Performs daily, weekly and monthly safety and infection control checks of the home and grounds, assisting the Executive Director and the Health and Wellness Director for resident health and safety
- Coordinates monthly staff schedules, arranges replacement staffing when necessary and maintains clear records of all changes, requests and irregularities.
- Assures in-house ancillary medical services such as podiatrist, doctor visits, psych visits, labs, x-ray, ambulance, etc. are scheduled and followed through.
- Participates in the maintenance of resident records including review of documentation performed by resident assistants, monthly MAR reviews, setting up new resident and thinning records appropriately.
- Participates in department quality improvement activities, to include completion of quality assurance surveys as assigned by Executive Director and/or the Health and Wellness Director.
- Shares on call duties as required.
- Participates in community functions including family socials and open houses. Communicates with community professionals.
This job description represents an overview of the responsibilities for the above referenced position. It is not intended to represent a comprehensive list of responsibilities. An associate should perform all duties as assigned by his/her supervisor.
Education and Experience
Associates degree in health care related field and/or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Refer to state specific regulations for qualifications required to assist with medications.
Certifications, Licenses, and Other Special Requirements
In accordance with state law, may need to possess current state certification and follow regulations to maintain certification currency.
Uses limited independent judgment to make decisions based on precedents and established guidelines. Solves problems using standard procedures and precedents. Knows when to refer issues to supervisor and when to handle them personally
Knowledge and Skills
Has a working knowledge of a skill or discipline that requires basic analytic ability. Has an overall understanding of the work environment and process. Has working knowledge of the organization. Familiarity with Microsoft Windows 95, Microsoft Office and e-mail (Microsoft Outlook or Exchange, preferred but not required). Basic typing skills essential. Ability to manage revenue and expense budget. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or associates of the company. Ability to effectively communicate in English and understand and follow written and oral instructions. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, or schedule form.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Requires interaction with co-workers, residents or vendors
- Occasional weekend, evening or night work if needed to ensure shift coverage.
- Use hands and fingers to handle or feel
- On-Call on an as needed basis
- Reach with hands and arms
- Possible exposure to communicable diseases and infections
- Climb or balance
- Stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
- Potential injury from transferring, repositioning, or lifting residents
- Talk or hear
- Taste or smell
- Exposure to latex
- Ability to lift: Up to 25 pounds
- Possible exposure to blood-borne pathogens
- Possible exposure to various drugs, chemical, infectious, or biological hazards
- Subject to injury from falls, burns, odors, or cuts from equipment
Brookdale is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.