RN - Psychiatric Registered Nurse
Brookdale Healthcare Services is immediately hiring nationwide: www.brookdalecareers.com
Psychiatric RN - Mental Health Nurse - Registered Nurse
Location: Nashville, TN
Brookdale Home Healthcare Services is looking for a Home Health Psychiatric RN - Registered Nurse to provide services in the Nashville area. Join a dynamic and growing team of health care providers focused on health, wellness and prevention for all our patients. You'll connect with our senior patients in their homes and build relationships that can greatly enhance their lives while giving you a sense of purpose. You'll ensure our patients receive optimal care while collaborating with a team of compassionate clinical service providers. This position puts you in a supervisory role over home health aides and LPNs/LVNs. You'll also help develop a plan of care for each patient. We offer opportunities to grow your career, including ways to develop your leadership skills, advanced training and the ability to network with other care providers. We always look to promote from within and our home health team is rapidly expanding. This position gives you some scheduling flexibility and reimbursement of travel expenses. We offer a work/life balance and the potential to grow your career. Come experience the Brookdale difference and find a purpose filled career.
Evaluate patient and home health environment to determine required services and involve the patient and patient's family in developing the plan of care
Develop the POC based on findings from evaluation visit
Serve as the patient's advocate and maintain ongoing communication with physician, referral sources, caregivers and facility management to facilitate coordination of care
Responsible for timely completion and synchronization of OASIS visits within the patient home via device (EMR)
Provide direct supervision of nursing clinical care team members (LPN's/LVN's & HHA's)
Provides coordinated skilled nursing care to patients of all age groups, on an intermittent basis in the home. Demonstrates accountability and responsibility in collaborating with the interdisciplinary team to establish and achieve patient goals and maintain high quality patient care. Performs in accordance with physician’s orders and under the supervision of the Manager, Clinical Services.
- Assesses home care patients identifying physical, psychosocial and environmental needs as evidenced by documentation, clinical records, case conferences, team reports, call-in logs and on-site evaluations.
- Completes OASIS, assessment and visit paperwork according to agency policy. Assures clinical notes accurately indicate continuing communication and coordination of services with the physician, other interdisciplinary team members and patient/family/caregiver.
- Communicates significant findings, problems and changes to Manager, Clinical Services and physician, and documents all findings, communications, and appropriate interventions.
- Demonstrates knowledge and proficiency in identifying, reporting and documenting problems, adverse reactions or possible complications related to patient care. Recognizes and reports life threatening situations and responds appropriately. Recommends and incorporates other disciplines in the care of the patient, as needed, and under the direction of the referring physician.
- Participates in the development and implementation of the Plan of Care to ensure quality and continuity of care and appropriate discharge planning. Establishes Plan of Care in coordination with the physician, patient, family and interdisciplinary team members. Incorporates long and short term goals established in the Plan of Care into nursing care, as evidenced by documentation in visit notes.
- Supervises and provides clinical direction to home health aides and LPNs/LVNs to ensure quality and continuity of services provided.
- Participates in interdisciplinary patient care conferences and Agency Performance Improvement processes.
- Receives referrals from physicians, hospitals, clinics, patients, families and other agencies when needed and notifies agency personnel on a timely basis.
- Assures the continuity of patient care and coordination of services through delivery of quality patient care. Performs in a manner that is consistent with current standards of practice and with the Agency’s policies and procedures. Follows all infection control and universal precautions guidelines/standards per agency policy.
- Responsible for participating in on-call rotation and emergency call according to agency policy.
- Demonstrates commitment, professional growth and competency. Strives to continually improve nursing knowledge base through individual research, reading, attendance at workshops/professional conferences and professional organizations.
This job description represents an overview of the responsibilities for the above referenced position. It is not intended to represent a comprehensive list of responsibilities. An associate should perform all duties as assigned by his/her supervisor.
Education and Experience
Graduate of an accredited school of professional nursing and a minimum of one or more years of home health, public nursing or acute hospital nursing experience, in addition to one year Medicare Home Health experience. Familiar with Medicare home health regulations, documentation requirements, ICD-10 coding and PPS (Strongly preferred). Demonstrates the ability to make appropriate judgments based on sound knowledge of nursing principles, procedures and elements of patient teaching.
Certifications, Licenses, and Other Special Requirements
Maintains Continuing Education Units for licensure renewal, as applicable to state regulations. Reliable transportation and proof of valid automobile liability insurance. Must have valid driver’s license. Current BCLS Certification prior to providing patient care.
Uses limited independent judgment to make decisions based on precedents and established guidelines. Solves problems using standard procedures and precedents. Knows when to refer issues to supervisor and when to handle them personally.
Knowledge and Skills
Has a working knowledge of a skill or discipline that requires basic analytic ability. Has an overall understanding of the work environment and process. Has working knowledge of the organization. Expresses verbal and written communication in a clear, positive and cooperative manner. Ability to maintain privacy and confidentiality with regard to patient, staff and agency information. Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner. Ability to prioritize and plan work activities. Possesses the ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action. Demonstrates an interest in working with a senior population. Ability to establish an effective working relationship with all departments and the community. Excellent organizational and follow-through skills.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Use hands and fingers to handle or feel
- Reach with hands and arms
- Climb or balance
- Stoop, kneel, crouch crawl
- Talk or hear
- Taste or smell
- Ability to lift: up to 50 pounds
- Requires interaction with co-workers, residents or vendors
- Occasional weekend, evening or night work if needed to ensure shift coverage
- On-Call on an as needed basis
- Possible exposure to communicable diseases and infections
- Potential injury from transferring, repositioning, or lifting residents
- Exposure to latex
- Possible exposure to blood-borne pathogens
- Possible exposure to various drugs, chemical, infectious, or biological hazards
- Requires Travel: Frequently
Brookdale is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.