RN Director of Nursing
Make Lives Better Including Your Own.
Overland Park is a five star community who recently had a 2021 deficiency free survey is looking for a HWD to join their awesome and stable leadership team.
The happiness of those we serve is dependent on the happiness of our associates, so you’ll receive competitive compensation and a benefits package with additional perks designed to make you smile. The work you do will be challenging yet rewarding. But you’ll earn more than a paycheck; you can enjoy opportunities to grow your career, as well as ongoing programs catered to your health, financial, mental, and emotional needs. Most of all, we believe you can find purpose, meaning, and the chance to be a part of something bigger than yourself.
Veterans, transitioning active duty military personnel, and military spouses are encouraged to apply.
We believe that in order to best serve our residents and patients, we need to first serve our associates. One way we do that is through our benefits. Our offerings include, but are not limited to:
Full-time and part-time associate benefits:
· 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan
· Benefit plan package
· Employee Stock Purchase Program
· Pre-tax Commuter Benefit
· Associate Compassion Fund
· Associate Discounts
· Identity theft protection
· Pet savings and insurance plans
· Voluntary benefits available
Full-time associate benefits:
· Extensive Insurance Plans, including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending account, health savings account and more.
· Paid Time Off
· Adoption Benefit
· Tuition Reimbursement
· Company-provided life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D)
· Voluntary STD and LTD
This is an incentive based position, which may include bonuses, incentive, or commission plans.
Please note, Brookdale has adopted a policy requiring all associates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to limited exemptions based on medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, or applicable state laws and regulations.
Plans, organizes, develops, and directs the overall operations of the Clinical Services Department in accordance with federal, state and local standards. Responsible and accountable for maintaining the highest degree of quality care at all times.
- Directs, coordinates, and monitors nursing care delivery to assure safe, effective, and appropriate care. Ensures residents' rights are maintained at all times.
- Oversees the assessment of comprehensive nursing needs of each resident using acceptable long term care assessment tools and according to state and federal time frames. Oversees the coordination of care plans for each resident.
- Works with other team members to monitor day to day care levels of residents for quality assurance and to verify appropriate levels of care are established according to Medicare/Medicaid reimbursement levels.
- Maintains care plans for each resident; monitors medication and treatment schedules; works with attending physicians to ensure care plans are followed; and provides direct care when required.
- Establishes and implements Quality Assurance Performance Improvement Program for improved resident care, and quality of life programs according to company policies and as required by federal regulations.
- Participates in Community Surveys completed by authorized government agencies. Monitors the community Quality Indicators and survey reports. Assists with the development of Success Plans of identified areas of opportunity.
- Develops and implements a Clinical Services organizational structure. Determines staffing needs; recruits, selects, hires, and orients nursing staff/direct care personnel. Assists the Human Resource Director and Health Care Administrator with recruitment and selection of Clinical Services Associates. Completes associate performance evaluations and disciplinary action as needed. Delegates’ authority to supervisory/lead staff.
- Reviews complaints and grievances filed by personnel and/or residents. Reports and investigates all allegations of abuse and/or misappropriation of resident property. Reports suspected or known violations of disclosure of resident protected health information.
- Coordinates ancillary services.
- Oversees the coordination of MDS to ensure timeliness of submissions.
- Maintains the policy and procedures that govern day-to-day functions in the Clinical Services Department. Develops, implements, and ensures nursing standards and department operation standards meet or exceed federal and state regulatory requirements. Plans, develops, and implements the Clinical Systems in accordance with current rules, regulations, and guidelines that govern long term care.
- Assists in preparing the nursing department’s budget; prepares monthly variance report; monitors equipment and supplies. Maintains Medicare/Medicaid reimbursements according to established categories.
- Plans, develops, and implements safe practices for resident safety in accordance with state, federal, and OSHA regulations, and ensures that policies and procedures in regards to resident safety are followed by staff and by residents. Develops and implements safety standards and regulations for equipment, supplies, and resident care rooms.
- Assists the Quality Improvement Nurse in establishing infection control and immunization processes, and in developing and delivering training programs to meet continuing education requirements.
- Serves on and attends various committees of the community as appointed by the Health Care Administrator. Evaluates and implements recommendations from the various committees pertaining to Clinical Services.
- Oversees, manages and delegates all roles and responsibilities of the Assistant Director of Clinical Services and the Quality Improvement Nurse, Clinical Services.
- Completes other duties assigned.
This job description represents an overview of the responsibilities for the above referenced position. It is not intended to represent a comprehensive list of responsibilities. An associate should perform all duties as assigned by his/her supervisor.
Education and Experience
Nursing Degree from an accredited college or university; must possess a minimum of three to five years related supervisory experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience including one year of management experience. Long term care experience preferred.
Certifications, Licenses, and Other Special Requirements
Must have valid and current state (RN) license, issued by appropriate state licensing agency. Must be CPR certified.
Applies existing guidelines and procedures to make varied decisions within a department. Uses sound judgment and experience to solve moderately complex problems based on precedent, example, reasonableness or a combination of these.
Knowledge and Skills
Possesses extensive knowledge of a distinct skill or function and a thorough understanding of the organization and work environment. Has working knowledge of a functional discipline. Effective written and oral communication skills. Ability to work effectively in a team environment. Ability to maintain privacy and confidentiality with regard to patient and staff information. Possesses basic level computer skills including Outlook, Word, and Excel. Ability to create and maintain an atmosphere of warmth, personal interest, positive emphasis and a calm environment.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Use hands and fingers to handle or feel
- Reach with hands and arms
- Stoop, kneel, crouch crawl
- Talk or hear
- Ability to lift: up to 25 pounds
- Requires interaction with co-workers, residents or vendors
- Occasional weekend, evening or night work if needed to ensure shift coverage
- On-Call on an as needed basis
- Possible exposure to communicable diseases and infections
- Potential injury from transferring, repositioning, or lifting residents
- Exposure to latex
- Possible exposure to blood-borne pathogens
- Possible exposure to various drugs, chemical, infectious, or biological hazards
- Requires Travel: Occasionally
Brookdale is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.