Senior Accountant - Corporate Accounting - Local Remote
Make Lives Better Including Your Own.
The happiness of those we serve is dependent on the happiness of our associates, so you’ll receive competitive compensation and a benefits package with additional perks designed to make you smile. The work you do will be challenging yet rewarding. But you’ll earn more than a paycheck; you can enjoy opportunities to grow your career, as well as ongoing programs catered to your health, financial, mental, and emotional needs. Most of all, we believe you can find purpose, meaning, and the chance to be a part of something bigger than yourself.
Veterans, transitioning active duty military personnel, and military spouses are encouraged to apply.
We believe that in order to best serve our residents and patients, we need to first serve our associates. One way we do that is through our benefits. Our offerings include, but are not limited to:
Full-time and part-time associate benefits:
· 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan
· Benefit plan package
· Employee Stock Purchase Program
· Pre-tax Commuter Benefit
· Associate Compassion Fund
· Associate Discounts
· Identity theft protection
· Pet savings and insurance plans
· Voluntary benefits available
Full-time associate benefits:
· Extensive Insurance Plans, including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending account, health savings account and more.
· Paid Time Off
· Adoption Benefit
· Tuition Reimbursement
· Company-provided life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D)
· Voluntary STD and LTD
Please note, Brookdale has adopted a policy requiring all associates to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to limited exemptions based on medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, or applicable state laws and regulations.
Prepares community financial statements and assists in the role of externally reporting the financial results of the company.
- Maintains the integrity of the general ledger by applying generally accepted accounting principles to all transactions.
- Assists and trains less experienced accountants.
- Completes balance sheet account reconciliations and bank account reconciliations by the established due dates. Researches and resolves reconciling items in a timely manner.
- Reviews cost center and chart of account structures. Makes recommendations as to cost center/account structure that will identify the nature of expenses to their proper area; assists in controlling annual expenditures and streamlines the data processing support required during month-end.
- Prepares, verifies, and controls the entering of journal entries to the general ledger.
- Evaluates subsidiary journals for obvious errors and omissions and enters corrected data into the general ledger, i.e., enters monthly journal entries, executes monthly closing entries, executes month-end general ledger (by cost center and by natural account).
- Reviews monthly balance sheet and profit-and-loss statements for accuracy.
- Coordinates monthly closing and production of statements to guarantee timely reporting.
- Reviews, redesigns, and enhances the on-line financial statements to ensure that the information reported properly reflects the company's financial position.
- Reviews and updates monthly closing procedures.
- Reviews supporting subsidiary schedules to ensure that the company's accounting practices are being maintained, i.e., insurance, fixed assets, amortization of prepaid; makes recommendations.
- Ensures all processes are appropriately documented and assists in the on-going documentation of accounting policies and procedures.
- Prepares audit schedules and responds to auditor requests during financial audits, SOX audits or any other audit.
- Monitors and tracks cash outflows. Provides necessary updates to management.
- Interacts with field personnel. Provides exceptional customer service in explaining and responding to questions regarding monthly operating activity, investigating variances, providing detail of charges and booking re-class entries.
- Corresponds with third party financial institutions and regulatory bodies.
This job description represents an overview of the responsibilities for the above referenced position. It is not intended to represent a comprehensive list of responsibilities. An associate should perform all duties as assigned by his/her supervisor.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree (BA) from a four-year college or university plus three to five years related experience.
Certifications, Licenses, and other Special Requirements
Applies existing guidelines and procedures to make varied decisions within a department. Uses sound judgment and experience to solve moderately complex problems based on precedent, example, reasonableness or a combination of these.
Knowledge and Skills
Possesses extensive knowledge of a distinct skill or function and a thorough understanding of the organization and work environment. Has a working knowledge of a functional discipline.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Use hands and fingers to handle or feel
- Reach with hands and arms
- Stoop, kneel, crouch crawl
- Talk or hear
- Ability to lift: up to 25 pounds
- Requires interaction with co-workers, residents or vendors
Brookdale is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.