Senior Accountant – Transactions Team
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Pet Insurance
- Adoption Reimbursement Benefits
- Variety of Associate Discounts
Prepares community financial statements and assists in the role of externally reporting the financial results of the company.
- Maintains the integrity of the general ledger by applying generally accepted accounting principles to all transactions.
- Assists and trains less experienced accountants.
- Completes balance sheet account reconciliations and bank account reconciliations by the established due dates. Researches and resolves reconciling items in a timely manner.
- Reviews cost center and chart of account structures. Makes recommendations as to cost center/account structure that will identify the nature of expenses to their proper area; assists in controlling annual expenditures and streamlines the data processing support required during month-end.
- Prepares, verifies, and controls the entering of journal entries to the general ledger.
- Evaluates subsidiary journals for obvious errors and omissions and enters corrected data into the general ledger, i.e., enters monthly journal entries, executes monthly closing entries, executes month-end general ledger (by cost center and by natural account).
- Reviews monthly balance sheet and profit-and-loss statements for accuracy.
- Coordinates monthly closing and production of statements to guarantee timely reporting.
- Reviews, redesigns, and enhances the on-line financial statements to ensure that the information reported properly reflects the company's financial position.
- Reviews and updates monthly closing procedures.
- Reviews supporting subsidiary schedules to ensure that the company's accounting practices are being maintained, i.e., insurance, fixed assets, amortization of prepaid; makes recommendations.
- Ensures all processes are appropriately documented and assists in the on-going documentation of accounting policies and procedures.
- Prepares audit schedules and responds to auditor requests during financial audits, SOX audits or any other audit.
- Monitors and tracks cash outflows. Provides necessary updates to management.
- Interacts with field personnel. Provides exceptional customer service in explaining and responding to questions regarding monthly operating activity, investigating variances, providing detail of charges and booking re-class entries.
- Corresponds with third party financial institutions and regulatory bodies.
This job description represents an overview of the responsibilities for the above referenced position. It is not intended to represent a comprehensive list of responsibilities. An associate should perform all duties as assigned by his/her supervisor.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree (BA) from a four-year college or university plus three to five years related experience.
Certifications, Licenses, and other Special Requirements
Applies existing guidelines and procedures to make varied decisions within a department. Uses sound judgment and experience to solve moderately complex problems based on precedent, example, reasonableness or a combination of these.
Knowledge and Skills
Possesses extensive knowledge of a distinct skill or function and a thorough understanding of the organization and work environment. Has a working knowledge of a functional discipline.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Use hands and fingers to handle or feel
- Reach with hands and arms
- Stoop, kneel, crouch crawl
- Talk or hear
- Ability to lift: up to 25 pounds
- Requires interaction with co-workers, residents or vendors
Brookdale is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.