Senior Director, Communications
Make Lives Better Including Your Own.
The happiness of those we serve is dependent on the happiness of our associates, so you’ll receive competitive compensation and a benefits package with additional perks designed to make you smile. The work you do will be challenging yet rewarding. But you’ll earn more than a paycheck; you can enjoy opportunities to grow your career, as well as ongoing programs catered to your health, financial, mental, and emotional needs. Most of all, we believe you can find purpose, meaning, and the chance to be a part of something bigger than yourself.
Veterans, transitioning active duty military personnel, and military spouses are encouraged to apply.
We believe that in order to best serve our residents and patients, we need to first serve our associates. One way we do that is through our benefits. Our offerings include, but are not limited to:
Full-time and part-time associate benefits:
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan
- Benefit plan package
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit
- Associate Compassion Fund
- Associate Discounts
- Identity theft protection
- Pet savings and insurance plans
- Voluntary benefits available
Full-time associate benefits:
- Extensive Insurance Plans, including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending account, health savings account and more.
- Paid Time Off
- Adoption Benefit
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Company-provided life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D)
- Voluntary STD and LTD
This is an incentive based position, which may include bonuses, incentive, or commission plans.
The Senior Director of Communications leads Brookdale’s Communications Department and is responsible for overseeing the Associate Communications, Executive Communications, Public Relations, Media Relations, Video Production and Crisis Communications functions. Responsible for development and implementation of communication and corporate reputation strategies and processes that support Brookdale’s business goals, positively affecting public perception of the brand. Oversees the planning and development of creative strategies, tactics, activities, technology and materials for the purpose of translating the mission, cornerstones, and strategy of Brookdale into meaningful communications to be used to inform and engage associates, residents, their family members, and prospects. Ensures the organization’s overall mission, culture, strategic objectives, and key messages are communicated accurately, effectively, and consistently to raise the company’s external profile as an industry and thought leader.
- Develops and leads team that implements the company’s internal and external communications strategy, tools, and tactics while working closely with Operations, Human Resources, Marketing, and other teams to identify and communicate key messages. Understands and uses appropriate technologies to promote messaging.
- Evolves the communications organization design as appropriate to meet business objectives and ensure the quality of communications talent within the organization.
- Leads development and execution of a comprehensive associate communications plan to solidify the culture and engage the organization around key milestones. Applies core knowledge of informal and formal communications theory, climate, culture, and constraints to achieve business objectives and manage corporate reputation internally. Periodically analyzes and evaluates the effectiveness of current corporate communication strategies and programs.
- Develops and implements communication policy, procedures, practices, and technologies to increase efficiencies and effectiveness. Develops and maintains comprehensive, measurable communication plans to support strategic goals. Ensures organizational objectives and key messages are communicated accurately, effectively, and consistently.
- Develops, maintains, and oversees corporate communications policies and procedures for corporate and field organizations. Creates protocols and “rules of the road” for communications, consistent with the company’s reputation, strategic priorities and legal/regulatory requirements.
- Provides strategic communications direction, leadership, and counsel to the executive leadership team, senior leadership team and other key leaders in the organization.
- Directly responsible for planning, drafting and execution of CEO communications plan, including written, electronic and face-to-face CEO communications for associates, residents, family members, and general public, including drafting of messages, scripts and talking points. Supports the CEO in executive communications, event support and preparations for corporate events, public forums and media activities (including conducting practice sessions prior to events or media interviews).
- Partners with Investor Relations and Legal Department to ensure consistency of corporate messaging in financial communications and to maintain a strong corporate reputation among investors, analysts and finance/business media. Serve as strategic counsel for business team members on the best way to communicate significant corporate news.
- Engages with key stakeholders in the interest of an open dialogue which presents a clear, honest, and positive representation of Brookdale. Supervises the execution of public relations strategies to effectively position Brookdale nationally and in key markets. Acts as a primary protector of Brookdale’s reputation along with ensuring that the company is represented accurately and given appropriate venues through which to share its vision and tell its story. Oversees and provides guidance to crisis communications and public relations team to mitigate potentially negative publicity. Maintains perspective on evolving issues and opportunities; monitors overall risk landscape to manage reputational risk.
- Oversees development and implementation of the company’s media relations strategies and standards; counsels members of senior management on their participation in media relations opportunities. May serve as a corporate spokesperson and represent Brookdale externally from time to time.
- Oversees external public relations agency and consultant relationships.
- Oversees Brookdale’s video productions function, ensuring alignment with corporate goals and strategies.
- Drafts, reviews and revises various communications-related documents, including press releases, email messages, talking points, video scripts and newsroom stories.
- Develops, oversees, and manages the budget for all communications and public relations activities.
This job description represents an overview of the responsibilities for the above referenced position. It is not intended to represent a comprehensive list of responsibilities. An associate should perform all duties as assigned by his/her supervisor.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations or related field is required. Advanced degree preferred.
- 10 - 15 years of related experience, including five years of management experience. Two or more years of experience drafting and managing C-level executive communication preferred.
- Strong initiative and ability to lead multiple projects/roles in an evolving environment.
- Expertise in associate communications for increased engagement
- Expertise in public relations and crisis communications management.
- Extensive knowledge of effective communication content development and delivery skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills.
- Excellent media relations and spokesperson skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Effective listening skills.
- Above average critical analysis skills.
- Broad, strategic, and systems point of view.
Certifications, Licenses, and other Special Requirements
Accreditation in Public Relations (APR) preferred.
Uses independent judgment to establish procedures and overall strategic direction that may affect a community, multiple communities, industry sectors and/or functional disciplines. Solves the most complex problems that require understanding and evaluation of impacts on the organization. Limited standard procedures; incumbent relies upon knowledge and experience, consultation with senior management members, corporate culture, and business goals to make decisions.
Knowledge and Skills
Possesses extensive knowledge of the communications discipline and maintains extensive theoretical business and industry knowledge. Provides overall leadership to the communications team and ability to work with cross-functional leaders to pursue the organization’s objectives. Excellent management skills with the ability to effectively direct the organization's communications operations to ensure image/perception and positioning are reflected consistently and accurately to the market. Possess judgment and capacity to accurately assess complicated situations and ability to navigate ambiguity.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Use hands and fingers to handle or feel
- Reach with hands and arms
- Talk or hear
- Ability to lift: up to 25 pounds
- Requires interaction with co-workers, residents or vendors
- Occasional weekend, evening or night work if needed to ensure shift coverage
- On-Call on an as needed basis
- Requires Travel: Occasionally
Brookdale is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.