Social Worker - FULL TIME
Make Lives Better Including Your Own.
The happiness of those we serve is dependent on the happiness of our associates, so you’ll receive competitive compensation and a benefits package with additional perks designed to make you smile. The work you do will be challenging yet rewarding. But you’ll earn more than a paycheck; you can enjoy opportunities to grow your career, as well as ongoing programs catered to your health, financial, mental, and emotional needs. Most of all, we believe you can find purpose, meaning, and the chance to be a part of something bigger than yourself.
Assists in planning, organizing, implementing, evaluating, and directing the overall operation of the Social Services department. Operates in accordance with current federal, state and local standards, guidelines and regulations, and established company policies and procedures to ensure that the medical-related emotional and social needs of the residents are met and maintained on an individual basis.
- Assists in developing preliminary and comprehensive social service needs assessments and plan of care for residents to include identifying resident problems, needs and goals.
- Encourages residents and family members to participate in the development and review of care. Interviews residents and families to obtain social history. Evaluates social and family information to assist in determining plans for social treatment. Interprets and relays the social, psychological, and emotional needs of the resident and family to the medical staff, attending physician, and other resident care team members.
- Provides consultation to members of the facility, community agencies, etc. in an effort to solve the needs and problems of the residents through the development of social service programs. Meets with administrative, medical and nursing staff, as well as other related departments in planning, implementing, and assessing social service programs and activities.
- Provides Medicare/Medicaid and financial assistance information to residents and families as appropriate. Assists in obtaining resources from community social, health and welfare agencies to meet the needs of the residents. Refers residents and family members to the appropriate social service agencies when the facility does not provide for the services or needs of the residents.
- Completes all necessary forms, reports, etc. and submits to Director as required. Ensures that all charted progress notes are informative and descriptive of the services provided and documents resident responses to services provided. Provides oral and or written reports of the social services programs and activities as required. Participates in discharge planning.
- Develops, implements, and maintains an ongoing quality assurance program for the social services department. Assists in the development, administration, and coordination of department policies and procedures. Reviews, documents and assists in resolving department complaints and grievances.
- Keeps abreast of current federal/state regulations and professional standards, making recommendations on changes in policies and procedures to the Director. Maintains a reference library of written material and laws in order to comply with current standards and regulations. Develops quality social service programs.
- Participates in facility surveys (inspections) made by authorized government agencies.
- Serves on, participates in and attends various committee or department meetings as required and as appointed by the Administrator. Evaluates and implements recommendations from established committees as they may pertain to social services.
- Schedules department work hours, personnel, work assignments etc. to expedite work. Conducts departmental performance evaluations in accordance with the facilities policies and procedures. Counsels/disciplines social services associates as requested or as needed. Terminates associates when necessary, documenting and coordinating such action with HR and or Administrator. Assists in recruiting, interviewing and selecting social services associates.
- Develops and participates in the planning, conducting, and scheduling of timely in-service training classes. Develops, implements, and maintains an effective orientation program.
- Forecasts the needs of the department. Assists in preparing and planning the social service’s department budget and ensures adherence to the budget.
- In the absence of the Director, assumes the authority, responsibility, and accountability of directing the social service department.
- Attends and participates in continuing educational programs in order to keep abreast of new developments in the industry and in order to maintain current license(s).
This job description represents an overview of the responsibilities for the above referenced position. It is not intended to represent a comprehensive list of responsibilities. An associate should perform all duties as assigned by his/her supervisor.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work or in a human services field, including but not limited to sociology, special education, gerontology, rehabilitation counseling, and psychology; and previous experience in a health care setting working directly with individuals.
Certifications, Licenses, and Other Special Requirements
Must be a member in good standing in the National Association of Social Workers and Academy of Certified Social Workers, Inc.
Applies existing guidelines and procedures to make varied decisions within a department. Uses sound judgment and experience to solve moderately complex problems based on precedent, example, reasonableness or a combination of these.
Knowledge and Skills
Possesses extensive knowledge of a distinct skill or function and a thorough understanding of the organization and work environment. Has working knowledge of a functional discipline. Must possess leadership ability and willingness to work effectively with and supervise other associates. Ability to read, write, speak and understand the English language. Ability to make independent decisions. Ability to deal tactfully with personnel, residents, family members, visitors, government agencies/personnel and the general public. Must have patience, cheerful disposition and enthusiasm, as well as the ability to handle residents based on whatever maturity level in which they are currently functioning. Ability to seek out new methods and principles and be willing to incorporate them into existing social services. Must be able to relate information concerning a resident’s condition. Ability to work independently, have flexibility and personal integrity.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Requires interaction with co-workers, residents or vendors
- Use hands and fingers to handle or feel
- On-Call on an as needed basis
- Reach with hands and arms
- Possible exposure to communicable diseases and infections
- Stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
- Talk or hear
- Ability to lift: Up to 25 pounds
- Requires Travel: Occasionally
Brookdale is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.