Every day is an opportunity for our associates to deeply connect with people in a profound and personal way. Our associates are the core of our mission and we know that offering them genuine rewards and heart filling job satisfaction is the key to our success as a company. Here you’ll find opportunities to grow your career at any level whether you have direct contact with resident or support someone who does, and be inspired personally. With over 60,000 associates, there’s a place for you to make a difference in lives of the families we serve throughout our continuum of care.
Supports Brookdale’s operations and corporate management in obtaining financial success by planning, organizing, directing, and controlling the financial activities, including payroll.
- Maintains the integrity of the general ledger by applying generally accepted accounting principles to all transactions.
- Completes balance sheet account reconciliations and bank account reconciliations by the established due dates. Researches and resolves reconciling items in a timely manner.
- Reviews cost center and chart of account structures. Makes recommendations as to cost center/account structure that will identify the nature of expenses to their proper area; assists in controlling annual expenditures and streamlines the data processing support required during month-end.
- Prepares, verifies, and controls the entering of journal entries to the general ledger.
- Evaluates subsidiary journals for obvious errors and omissions and enters corrected data into the general ledger, i.e., enters monthly journal entries, executes monthly closing entries, executes month-end general ledger (by cost center and by natural account).
- Reviews monthly balance sheet and profit-and-loss statements for accuracy.
- Assists in coordinating monthly closing and production of statements to guarantee timely reporting.
- Reviews, redesigns, and enhances the on-line financial statements to ensure that the information reported properly reflects the company's financial position.
- Assists in reviewing and updating monthly closing procedures.
- Reviews supporting subsidiary schedules to ensure that the company's accounting practices are being maintained, i.e., insurance, fixed assets, amortization of prepaid; makes recommendations.
- Ensures all processes are appropriately documented and assists in the on-going documentation of accounting policies and procedures.
- Prepares audit schedules and responds to auditor requests during financial audits, SOX audits or any other audit.
- Monitors and tracks cash outflows. Provides necessary updates to management.
- Interacts with field personnel. Provides exceptional customer service in explaining and responding to questions regarding monthly operating activity, investigating variances, providing detail of charges and booking reclass entries.
- Corresponds with third party financial institutions and regulatory bodies.
This job description represents an overview of the responsibilities for the above referenced position. It is not intended to represent a comprehensive list of responsibilities. An associate should perform all duties as assigned by his/her supervisor.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree (B. A. or B.S.) from four-year college or university is required, major in Accounting is preferred. Zero to three years related experience and/or training.
Certifications, Licenses, and other Special Requirements
Uses limited independent judgment to make decisions based on precedents and established guidelines. Solves problems using standard procedures and precedents. Knows when to refer issues to supervisor and when to handle them personally.
Knowledge and Skills
Has a working knowledge of a skill or discipline that requires basic analytic ability. Has an overall understanding of the work environment and process. Has working knowledge of the organization.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Use hands and fingers to handle or feel
- Reach with hands or arms
- Talk or hear
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds
- Requires interaction with co-workers, residents or vendors
Brookdale is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.